1891, The Mary Free Bed Guild was established.
1915, The Mary Free Bed Guild membership had grown to fifty when the group posed for this picture at a Guild meeting at the home of Mrs. Warren H. Snow. Today the Mary Free Bed Guild continues to own and operate Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital (below).
- 1920′s, The orthopedic clinics offered several forms of physical therapy (below).
- 1920′s. Five boys, infantile paralysis patients, are shown in the curative workshop where Miss Jeanette Gilbert, occupational therapist, shown at the right center, gives them work which will exercise their affected muscles (below).
- 1920′s. Miss Gilbert, occupational therapist, in the occupational therapy room. Both, shop and occupational therapy classes were integral parts of the Mary Free Bed curriculum (below).
- 1934-1940, Girls dormatory (below).
- 1955, Margaret Ann Heath, music therapist, began the hospital’s first music therapy department. Music therapy was used to help develop weakened or contracted muscles (below).
- 1940s and 1950s included such activities as balancing and standing at the bars (below, top), and blowing into partially filled bottles to build lung capacity (below, bottom).
Photo Credit for all photos:
Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI